Internet Marketing – The Basic Steps of SEO
SEO or Search Engine Optimization, is the way of website optimization, to become a search engine friendly website. So our site can appear on the first page of search results on the search engines, so we can get free traffic from search engines.
SEO has 2 important phases:
1. Optimization on the site itself (On-page Optimization)
2. Optimization beyond the site (Off-page Optimization)
A. Optimization on the site itself (On-page Optimization)
Included in “On-page Optimization” are:
2. Meta Tags
Many internet marketers say that if our domain contains important keywords it will better. That’s right, but if we want to branding a new name, it is OK. So if we already have a domain and does not include important keywords, it’s not a problem, perhaps you want to branding a new name with your domain. But on the other hand, if you want to buy a domain that contains keywords that you target, it is better for SEO.
If we find an inner page on the first rank in the Search Engine result for a particular keyword, we can easily to replace it.
How: Place the same keywords on the main page!
Search Engines robot will more quickly display the site with keywords that are placed on the main page. But it does not immediately display the site in the main page keyword appears directly to the rank one, there are still some stage we should do.
2. Meta Tag
Meta Tags are a set of information that we need to enter the page of the site between “open tag ‘head’” and “close tag ‘head’” in the “source code”.
Meta Tags consist of 3 components:
1. Meta Keyword
2. Meta Title
3. Meta Description
Meta keyword, meta title and meta description have to contain the same keywords.
Meta keyword should contain keywords that set our targets and dealing with the theme of the website we will create. Number of keywords in the meta keywords depending on the length of the content. If we have a quite long content at the main page and includes a lot of keywords, we can enter the keyword to 3-6 on a single page, but if only 1-2 paragraphs just enter 1 keyword. Do not add other words that are not found in the content.
The contents of this title must contain the keywords we target. Make the short title, Try to get title does not contain words that are not important, that is not related to the keyword, even though the form of words ‘and’ or ‘or’.
This page titles or meta title will be shown at the top of the browser.
Due to the title should contain the main keyword and do not load a lot of other words that are not related to the main keyword, so if you target a keyword below, for example:
1. What is Cancer?
2. Cancer Risk
3. Cancer Insurance
We should put the keyword in the meta title as follows:
What is Cancer? | Cancer Risk | Cancer Insurance
Place the divider “|” in each of the keywords we target, in addition to space also makes the title more easily understood by both visitors and by robots.
Description should include a keyword that we target, the explanation does not to long-winded or a word that is not related to our main keyword.
Note the description which included all the keywords that we target.
Meta Tags (Meta Title, Meta Keyword and Meta Description) must contain the same keyword, we target to another without long-winded.
3. Site Content
Content is the King of all that is on our site in terms of SEO, so if the content does not meet the requirements of the robot our site will not appear on search engines as we expect.
There are 3 things that need to be understood:
1. The site appearances are for men.
2. Source code or HTML codes are for the robot.
3. We must be able to give what the people want and robots at the same time.
Among of the on-page optimization content is the most difficult because here we have to give what the robots want but at the same time it have to good to be read by the people.
Site content consists of 2 main components, namely the title and contents. Here are the important issues of desired content in the robot:
1. Title must be in the letter ‘h1′
2. Title must contain the main keyword
3. Place the main title at the top of the website
The top of the website was the first time will be visited by robots, so make sure the robot to read the title which contains the main keyword, and must remember that the title should be use ‘h1′ letter in order the robot can read easily.
4. Posts subtitles should use the type of letter ‘h2′
5. Content articles must include the main keyword at 3-8%
If the number of words in our article are 1000, the article should contain 30 – 80 main keyword in the whole paragraph spread evenly, but should still nice to read.
6. The first maim keyword in the article should appear in bold print
Try the first main keyword appeared in the article in bold print, or underline, or italic. Select one of course, does not need all.
We can also put the main keyword before the article begins.
7. Use Anchor Text
If we make a link, either on the menu or in the articles always use the anchor text in the form of keywords that we target.
Anchor Text is a link in the form of text. Often we see the link in the site, for example ‘click here’, there is a named anchor text. Text is usually link to another page in our site or even to other sites, if we want to implement SEO do not try to use a text “here”, but change it to the keyword we target.
8. Add ‘ALT tags’ on images
Always put ‘Alt Tags’ to each image or picture that we attach on the page in the HTML code. This ‘ALT Tags’ function is to describe the image for the robot.
9. Try the first visit by a robot is the title
This can be done by placing the article on the left our website, while the sidebar column which contains the navigation and menu we place at the right of the website.
B. Optimization beyond the site (Off-page Optimization)
What is Off-Page Optimization?
In A simple sentence Off-Page Optimization is the activities that we do on our site with the goal of creating robots that search engines rate sites our site is famous among other sites.
This is also known by the term “Link Popularity”
How famous our site among the other sites (with a particular target keyword) will be a consideration in determining search engine positioning of our site in search engine result.
Based on the experience of internet marketers who have been successful, Off-Page Optimization at this very important role now, even that says Off-Page Optimization is much more important than the On-Page Optimization. But I think both of them are important to get a high ranking on search engines.
The main components of the Of-Page Optimization, or to determine how famous our site is through the quality back links. So if you want the robot is considered as famous site we need to have a lot of quality back links.
There are 2 types of Back Link:
1. One direction or One Way Back Link, where other site link to our site, but our site does not link back to the site. This is usually our sites have information that is considered interesting and he rekomend to the visitor of their site.
2. Two-way (mutual link). Also known as “Link Exchange” or exchange links.
Note that One Way Back Link has a wine better on search engine than two-way link.
Which link back is good for the Off-Page Optimization?
Many webmasters make the mistake and has wrong mind with Back Link. They tried to find link partners as much as possible without examining the positions, topic and status of the site which will be invited to become their Link-Partner. To avoid this the following steps are necessary to find a quality Back Link:
1. When searching for potential link partners, select the same site, or at least close to the topic or topics related to our site
2. Search site potential link partners with high-rank page.
3. When we do Link Exchange see where they will put the link. Usually they have a special page for Link Partner, see the page rank of the special page, whether they have a high page rank or not. This is very important.
Note: Page Rank of each page of your site in one domain can be different. Although the main page has a high Page Rank, Page Rank can be the other page is lower or even zero. Or the Page Rank of the main page is lower but the other pages in is higher. This can be caused by the On-Page Optimization and Link Back obtained by the page.
- Do not exchange links with the origin of other sites
- Do not link sites that Page Rank 0
- When you want to Link Exchange, don’t accept the link of our site is putting in the page with Page-Rank 0
4. Calculate how many link partners were there! Do not try to link the sites that have links Partner or save more than 50 links on one page!
Note: Value of Page Rank will be divided evenly with all of the existing link partners. More number of link partners that are stored in one page, the smaller Rank value will received by each link partner.
5. Look at Anchor Text used for our site at the site of link partner, is already in line with our target keyword? Anchor Text must be the keyword of our target.
Many Webmasters are looking for Link Partner as much as possible without considering the above. Actually we do not need to find thousands of links to sites we create are considered by a robot, just looking for 30-60 quality links that are eligible that have been described above. Many people are not patient, and finally stuck with the Link Farm. In a short time they have succeeded many links, even to reach thousands. So is the site like this will be indexed directly by google? No, Is not, google will move in the Sand Box, or even will be banned directly.
Note: Links Farm is one of the black hat techniques, where we find the link / link exchange as much as possible without targeted at all (do not touch the subject). Link Farm can cause us is banned by google.
The Main points of the On-Page Optimization:
1. Try the link + description of our website are there in the other sites, this is called the Back Links.
2. There are two kinds of Back Links: One Way Back Links (one-way link) and Link Exchange (exchange link).
3. For Link Exchange, search for related theme site.
4. Search potential site link partners that has high Page-Rank. Download google toolbar http://toolbar.google.com to know the Page Rank of a site. When is found call them to exchange links.
5. If they agree, check where the link is placed, see the Page Rank page, do not accept a link placed on the Page Rank 0.
6. Calculate how many links that are posted on there, do not link to a site that has a link partner of more than 50 links in one page.
7. Always use the Anchor Text, the site’s main keywords should be used the description of the link on the site link partner.
Note: Although we have done all the above correctly, free traffic from search engines will not come immediately, but takes times. Give time 5 months to 1 year to see the results. While waiting for the results we can make another site.
Back to Internet Marketing Indonesia